Sunday, April 25, 2010

Little things before bedtime

Someday you’ll marry me and make me the happiest girl. But until that happens I’ll just imagine what it will be like to fall asleep in your arms. It sounds so cliché, I know, because everyone and their mother dream about falling asleep in someone’s arms. Arms are apparently very attractive things to fall asleep in. But I think and know that there is truth in being in your arms, as if all the right stars and planets and cows and grasses aligned together to make life perfect while I cradle my head in the crook of your elbow. Someday when you’re asleep next to me with your velvet soft arms wrapped around me, your hand gently cupping my left breast, I’ll kiss the inside of your wrist. I’ll run my lips up and down in the hollow where your pulse goes and feel the tendon that moves your hand. Your bicep will rest under my head, the perfect pillow for my weariness. And I’ll press my hips against yours and we will lie there silently, breathing each other’s breath and holding on, holding on, holding on, as if letting go is death itself. In the dim light of a full moon I’ll drift towards sleepshores, your arms around me a lifejacket. Unity and oneness are the night.

No comments: