Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Group of Worms Were Hypothetically Speaking...

Have you ever met someone and then parted ways, only to discover that when they are gone you feel like something is missing? Hmmm, that's really vague. Let me clarify.

Things I'm not talking about: I'm not talking about significant relationships, but rather trivial ones that meant next to nothing and were more like acquaintance than friendships.

Things I am talking about: People that I've known only briefly, but wished I could have known them for longer or better. There are people that are mysteries. A person can be a mystery and then after I've spent a day or so with them they are not a mystery anymore. That's okay. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about when I spend a day with a person, or maybe two days, and I think back on the time and on their personality and on their actions and I think to myself, "I still know next to nothing about this person." (Random fact: Next to nothing is one of my favorite cliches. I just decided that right now. It's very poetic)

I was trouping around the 'Space a bit looking at old friend's pages and I came across a guy who I knew a while back, but who I didn't know very well. A keen sense of loss enveloped me as I looked at his page and read some of the comments his friends had left him. I felt like I had lost a potential friend....even though he had never been a friend in the first place.

No comments: